Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Snow Day!

On my third day of work it snowed 2.5 feet (may be metric or an exaggeration). I got all the way to work before I found out it was cancelled. Spent 10 minutes getting the fiat out of its parking space, then went back to the hotel. Caught the train downtown and ended up in a shopping district. Had my first lunch where the waitress couldn't speak english. It went pretty well until I ordered coffee and she asked whether I wanted a cup or a whole pot. Luckily, there was a guy from Oregon at the next table that jumped in to translate. "ein taffe". I'll get that next time... I also managed to buy hazelnut chocolate, pastries, and an electric skillet without using english. Awkward looks when I'm talking are down 20%.

Now it's time to go downstairs and say "Cann ich bier haben?" 17 times. Check out pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/adammorganvt/SnowDay

3 comments:

Brendan said...

Do you have to drive to the train station?

Morgan said...

the local train is a couple blocks. You can take that to the real train that goes from city to city.

Teresa said...

Morgen (as the Germans say), please don't tell me you were driving a vehicle and taking a picture at the same time and all of this in snow.