Monday, January 29, 2007

München

Headed out to Munich a little late on Saturday because my coworker I went with, Adrienne, overslept (seriously, I woke up before someone). Got a falafel at the train station - it was good, but it had nothing on my old namesake.

Got into Munich around 3, found a hotel, then walked in the direction we thought the sites were. About a mile and half later, there we were. Weird, that should never have worked out. The most memorable thing about Munich was all the old historic sites with cell phone stores and foot lockers built into them. It would be like me selling bacon wrapped bacon out of Lincoln's right leg...

Went to Hofbrauhaus for dinner. It’s a famous bar that fits probably a 1000 people, half tourist, but all drinking beers by the liter. Met a couple from UMD. Despite that fact, they were pretty cool. Living in Switzerland and had lots of good traveling advice. Some Schnitzel, a pretzel, and 2 liters of beer later, it was time to leave...

Late night, we went to an area with a bunch of clubs (in Germany, this still is not my thing). Going in to the area there was a "Tex-Mex Grill". They sold hamburgers. First stop, a communist club. There was a statue of Lenin out front and about 15 people inside. Not quite a thriving business, who would've guessed communism would bring you that. Second stop, a bar the size of my closet. Still about 15 people, but this time I'd consider it crowded. Third stop, more normal club. I was surprised by how much American music they listen to. Locals knew more of the words than I did - of course that would probably still be true in Mongolia...

The next day, I ate a doner kebab. Kind of like a gyro. The server tried to give me a plate after he blew on it and then scraped something off with his fingernail. Thanks, but I'll just use the paper it's wrapped in...

Went to a toy museum (even lamer than it sounds) and the Deutches museum dedicated to technology and engineering. That one would have been interesting except all the good exhibits didn't have English translations... My method of communicating in stores and restaurants (mostly pointing), didn't help with translating paragraphs about oil drilling...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds very interesting and fun..I really think you're going to have to learn more German :)

Brendan said...

I saw a little diddy on the "History-Discovery-Fill in the Blank" Channel over the weekend about Germany. It was interesting.

Big gulps, huh. Welp, see ya later.

Anonymous said...

do i need to report you to the internet authorities for inappropriat content??

Creative Pseudonym said...

hmmmm... Bacon-wrapped Lincoln's right leg. I'd eat it.

Wait, are we talking about the statue, or his actual leg?

Anonymous said...

haj! you're too funny. i'm so proud of you for driving in a foreign country....and eating foreign food.

Teresa said...

is it bad that i find the comments almost more amusing than the actual blog?

Sean said...

I think its sad that teresa doesn't have a sense of humor. Morgan, keep 'em commin!!