Monday, February 5, 2007

Skiing in Oberstdorf

So, I had this working against me:

1) Directions that only get me to within 20 miles of Oberstdorf.
2) No idea where to go to ski once in Oberstdorf.
3) The slopes may not even be open because it's pretty warm out.
4) I still can't speak German.
5) I'm depending on the fiat to take me 300 miles round trip.

I went anyways because I figured, what's the worst that can happen? Make a wrong turn, get lost, and run out of gas somewhere in Lithuania with no way to call anyone? That would make for a good blog...

After driving for about 15 minutes past where my directions ended, I finally see a road sign with a skier on it. I pull in, take a closer look. Blast. He's a Nordic walker.... That's not right at all.



Another 15 minutes and finally the road ends at Oberstdorf. Between roaming around the town on foot to find skiing, figuring out how to rent skis and how to buy a lift ticket, an hour and a half go by. Being able to read would've helped a lot.

Most of the slopes were closed, but a smaller section of the mountain was open. Going up the lift, my ears pop. This isn't like east coast skiing. The one slope that goes all the way down the mountain doesn't look too difficult, except it is somewhat narrow with a 1000 foot drop off one side. I think I'll stick with the one blue slope where the mountain goes up on either side. After a couple hours I have my first fall. Not good. The ski got caught in the snow and twisted my knee. Time for a beer and food. After food, I went down the slope one more time just to prove I can play hurt on Super bowl Sunday. Hobbled back to the car and went home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Morgan, you're so great at telling a good story. Keep it up..it's nice to have a little giggle on your behalf :)

Sorry to hear about the knee thing though. You're young..you'll bounce back in no time.

Brendan said...

Morgan, well done. Did you make the German Olympic Ski Team?

My brother would be proud. John is all about doing stuff like that - going crazy places without any foreknowledge of what to do. It usually ends well, so congrats to you too.

Anonymous said...

haj, great pic of the mountains! i'm jealous.